As I mentioned in the last post, the list of domestic preparations is rather extensive. In the past 24 hours, we have calked, cleaned the carpets, sprayed for pests, spot sprayed for crab grass, put down pre-emergent for crab grass, fertilized the lawn, purchased a new mower, trimmer and a years worth of chemicals to spray trees, treat for black spot (roses and fotinias), fertilize our roses, Round-up for spot weed and bermuda grass control, ant killer that we use to treat the borer bugs that continue to pursue my poor sickly Leland Cypress (the other three are doing fine! Don't ask me why ant killer, but it works), and the entire inventory of Loew's tree stakes to fertilize our trees and shrubs!! We normally put out about 150 stakes throughout the yard in the Fall and Spring.
Today, I discovered a gas container with 4-year old gasoline; so that has to be disposed. I had to let the container go with it, because a city pick up is the only way to get rid of it. So, it's off to the store to get another container and fresh gas. Then it's time to trim the areas around the flume so that ground adjacent to it can be sterilized!! (the great american dream: one application of weed killer for the entire year) and spray the trees.
Don't forget your 2:00 pm conference call with Jonathan, your Russian language tutor! I won't; but please don't let me forget to pickup our prescriptions for the next year from the doctor and make an appointment for that last teeth cleaning with the dentist! Oops, I almost forgot, get the black algae killer from Leslie's Pool Supply...this is the second episode this summer. Thank goodness for cooler weather.
Time permitting there are bushes to trim.
The schedule is a little bit heavier than usual, due to fall gardening requirements. I repeat the process in the Spring and then fertilize the lawn and spot weed control with Round-up a few times in the Summer and that's about it.
Reflecting upon this flurry of activity, I believe that leaving your home for an extended period of time is a little bit like selling a house, you try to get it in top condition before you leave and you wonder, first, why didn't I take care of all of these details earlier, and second, why are we selling/leaving? Isn't it time to take a rest and enjoy your labors!
добрый день [Doe-Bree-Gin (Good afternoon!)]
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment