Sunday, August 24, 2008

A 10- mile day

What a bummer! This is the first time blogger failed me. I just created a post and it did not post successfully. Then when I tried to hit the back button on the blogger, all that was left was the title of the post, but no post. Oh well, here we go again!

Yesterday, we walked for 10 miles as we roamed the trails of the Botanical Gardens next to the All Russian Exhibition. This is the most we have walked since we have been here. Chris legs are littered with broken blood vessels on both legs, from her ankles to above her knees!! I think we may have overdone it!! When we got back to the apartment, we both crashed and slept for about an hour and a half!!

The park was very pleasant (the weather was perfect), beautiful trees, but not much on flowers. There was a Japanese Tea Garden, but it was all locked up. So we wandered around for four hours looking for 20,000 roses. We found the signs to the Rose Garden, but we never did find the roses!!

We walked back to the metro through the All Russian Exhibition. There was a ton of construction projects going on and all the fountains except the ones at the main entrance to the park were turned off. The hugh exhibit hall that was used by people in the spring to sell every type of flower, seed or tree was completely empty. Early in the spring it was a beehive of activity.

Linda Nearon picked yesterday as her first day to venture out with the seniors. Though she reminded me several times that she was nearly 10-years my senior, she was really not complaining and held up admirably!! She treated everyone to an ice cream when we came to the end of the trail!

I had to take pictures with my new phone (I forgot to bring my camera). I don't have a cable to transfer the data to my computer, but Acia does, so I won't be able to post my pictures until we get back from St. Petersburg.

Last night, we talked with Nick who was getting ready for the arrival of tropical storm Fay(e). This little storm has hit the Florida coast 4 times already and just will not stop. You just shouldn't underestimate a storm with that name (Greg's mom's name!) We also talked with Jason and the girls. Chris talked to Emily and Joy, then I called my mom. She is a little concerned about how the relations between the U.S. and Russia have continued to deteriorate and thinks we should just come home. She said yesterday that at least we are getting something out of this mission (our trip to St. Petersburg). Then she confessed that we probably believe we are getting something else from the mission. On that point we were in total agreement!!

No comments: