Monday, August 4, 2008

Learning to Smile in the Face of Adversity!!

So today I tried to stay calm. Relaxed. I would figure out in just a few minutes what I couldn't figure out last Friday night. Minutes turned to hours, then it was the end of the day. I could not get Microsoft Word 2007 to perform properly from section to section with different headers. I was certain I was doing it right, so as soon I got home, I tried the same operations on Word 2000 and it worked like a charm. There must be a glitch in some other part of the formatting that is in the document that is causing it behave in such a bizare manner. Hours burned never to again be reclaimed. Oh, that I were a real document processor!!

Then there are the transcribers who do not have Acrobat 8.0. They cannot complete their English transcriptions, because they cannot open the template that was created in 8.0. It is not as easy as just giving them the software they need. They are not employees. Our licenses are for employees only. So we may have to go buy the software again locally, from a local provider. Days turn into weeks and still they wait for their Patriarchal Blessings.

So what have I learned? How have I grown? Have I gained more patience? I am afraid there is very little evidence of either. I can smile. I can say that I can take it my stride, but it would be a lie. Nothing frustrates me like a computer that won't do what I expect it should do. I still get just as frustrated, but I didn't even think of a bad word, like shucks or swell or so how's your ol' man (a line from the movie The Music Man). Is that a hint of progress?? I will tackle it again tomorrow, "after all, tommorow is another day!!" (Scarlett's last words in Gone with the Wind).

No comments: