Sunday, December 21, 2008

Allen Eagles Win the Texas Football State Championship for the First Time


I called Jason yesterday and he was in the car heading for Houston. I wondered, What is he doing going to Houston? I could hear Joy and the girls in the background. I just couldn't pull it together. Then Jason broke the news...they were on their way to see their Allen Eagles play for the Division I State Championship in Texas. It doesn't get any bigger than this in Texas. I was primed for the news I found on the internet this morning, after reading the book the The Twelve Mighty Orphans, a soon to be classic about Texas football in the 1930's.

I suspect for Jason (who I am sure has no voice this morning), this was a magical moment. For a young man who lives to be with his family watching the annual July 4th parade and celebration in Fredricksburg, TX, and strives to maintain old fashion (but never out-of-date) values, this had to be very special. The Cowboys could win three Superbowls in a row and it wouldn't mean the same.

Brother Minor, my current hometeacher, my former High Priest Group Leader, and a long time Allen booster, has been with the team throughout much of its inglorious past. This had to be a special moment for him as well!

Here is the wire story from the Dallas Morning News:

Allen didn't panic after being shutout in the first half by Fort Bend Hightower and was rewarded with a 21-14 victory.

After waiting so long to win its first state title, what's another two quarters?

"We knew what our offense could do," said Allen quarterback Tucker Carter, the game's offensive MVP. "We had to stay within ourselves. It was mainly me, I was trying to make too much happen."

Carter made it all happen with three touchdown passes in the second half to complete a stunning turnaround before 26,023 at Reliant Stadium.

Carter's biggest pass may have been with less than five minutes remaining when Allen chose to go for it on fourth-and-a-foot at midfield.

With Hightower linebacker Phillip Steward in his face, Carter flipped a pass to Uzoma Nwachukwu for a five-yard gain.

The first down allowed Allen to all but run out the clock. It also helped Allen end years of frustration as being one of the area's best programs to not win a state title.

"It puts us on the map," receiver Dakarai Pecikonis said. "People always doubted us, but we believe in ourselves."

Allen (15-1) needed faith after being held to 117 yards in the first half. Hightower (13-1) took a 7-0 lead midway through the first period on a 42-yard run by Darius Johnson.

Allen's defense kept the game from getting away. Hightower was stopped on fourth down at the 1-yard line in the second quarter, and Allen's Stephen Terrell partially blocked a field goal attempt just before halftime.

Allen's offense scored on its first possession of the second half. It needed to convert another fourth-and-1 to keep the drive going, then Carter hit Pecikonis for a 42-yard gain. That set up a 3-yard touchdown pass to Jeremiah Williams.

The defense came through again when linebacker Mitch Hartshorne intercepted a pass and returned it 26 yards. On the next play, Carter found Marcus Thomas all alone for a 37-yard score.

Allen stretched its lead to 21-7 when Carter threw his third touchdown pass to Justin Robinson.

No comments: