Our little group in the snow taken after our visit, just out side the hospital.We were on our way by 9:00 a.m. this morning, for our 11:00 a.m. appointment at the hospital. Sister Marina Kharlamova was waiting for us at the metro stop at 10:45. Last year we sang two programs to the elderly women of the hospital. Today, we had 4 performances, this time three groups of women and one group of men.
After a few opening remarks (we rotated this assignment), we began with Jingle Bells, then a few Christmas carols and ended with I Am a Child of God (in Russian) and Silent Night.
A few observations: First, they were most appreciated. One little gal kept saying Happy New Year (Marina told she had been a biologist). We were impressed with her English!! Others cheered us for being Americans. Second, when you look out over the group (20-25 in each group) you can't help but notice that none of the women wear make up. Just freshly scrubbed faces, all beautiful. I remembered one lady from last year. I made a point to shake her hand and wished her Snovim Godom!! In fact, I shook every one's hand in that opening session. My eyes were full of tears (I am not sure where all the emotion came from). I could hardly sing the last verse of Silent Night. Each one wished us a Happy New Year, some blessed us, all smiled, their eyes big and bright.
After our performance we passed out our bags of candy. Some were just popping one after the other. Some with no teeth were a little more challenged, but they didn't let a little thing like that keep them eating their chocolates.
When we sang songs like Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman, Marina would tell them the story in Russian after we sang the song. They liked the stories! Marina already has other ideas for return engagments. She would like the Seniors to do another program at Easter. I am sure they will.
Marina Kharlamova, our leader!!We also visited many who were bedridden and could not come to where we were singing. We shook their hands, wished them a Happy New Year and gave them each a bag of chocolates. It is fun playing Santa Claus. Wouldn't it be wonderful if our bags were stuffed with dollar bills that they could use to buy some new clothes or have their hair done.
Marina commented to me with tears in her eyes, that one of the sisters related to her that she wished us twice the blessing they had just received.
I talked with one male patient, who was quite elderly, who spoke perfect English. I could not even hear an accent. I asked him when learned how to speak English. He said it was 18 years ago. His body was trembling, steadily, as we conversed.
The seniors were really into it. Each carefully taking the hands of each patient and wishing them Happy New Year. Clark said he was doing pretty good, until he saw me.
One group after the other. It just got better. Finally, we took our picture in the lobby with Marina in the center of the group. I kept back one bag of chocolates for her. The seniors all thanked her for all that she did to organize the event for us.
In the lobby of the hospital.
It takes a little effort, but the giver always gets more than the receiver. That is how it should be, and that is the way it was today.
Later, we went to lunch as a group. Sam and Narene then followed us home and were playing Rummicube, when our landlords arrived, with mother and younger sister. It was our day to pay the rent. They are a very sweet family. Their visit was more like having company than transacting business. It only left us time to play one game, but tomorrow is another day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment