Friday, January 9, 2009

Pushkin Museum Revisited

This picture , from our visit last weekend to the Contemporary History Museum. I just thought it might convey a little about how Russians like their icons SUPERSIZED!
A major hammer and sickle!

I forgot to mention to mention that we had a new Russian experience the other day (actually twice in one day!!), when we were traveling to the hospital. The metro actually runs above ground between just two stops on the Green Line. It is always nice to look out the window and see a little bit of Moscow when you are traveling. Otherwise, we feel mostly like moles. But what was so unusual about this trip is it began snowing inside the car. It is not so hard to figure out. Each car has a series of scoops on the roof that intake air from outside which cirulates in the car and goes out an exhaust scoop, also on the top of the car (the opening pointing toward the last car). What makes it unusual, is that since the metro is rarely above ground, the effect is effectively nuetralized underground.

On Saturday, we made our way to the Pushkin fine art museum and Ismayla to see if I could find some goodies to bring home. We went to see the Turner Exhibit at the museum. Turner was an English painter who lived in the 18th and 19th century. I enjoyed a few of his pieces, but overall I was not that impressed.

Chris's favorite floral painting at the Pushkin. This was not done by Turner!

The rest of the museum was fun enough. For Sam and Narene and all of the other seniors, this was their first time to visit the Pushkin. It made Chris and I feel a little more senior, when we discovered that we were the only couple to have been there before. We went with the Price's over a year ago!!

The Pieta. One of hundreds of plaster copies of classic sculpture. It like being in a number of museums at once. I don't think they missed a thing!

It was very cold day. Actually, it was about as cold as it has been since we got here. We didn't last too long at Ismayla. We defrosted our fingers over the shashleek pits and grabbed some good bar-b-que for lunch (pork and chicken on a stick). Then we went inside to eat, where there was no heat. It was very cold inside, as I am sure the pictures shown below will convey.

Chris blowing off some steam!!

Sam and Narene feeling like they were back in South Dakota!!


From Friday night, Sam and Narene seeking inspiration from the wonderful view outside our window(you know, of course, theirs is much more impressive!) I guess they didn't get much (inspiration, that is). A few minutes later they were the victims of a very cunning Rummicube strategem.
Today, we went to church and I taught my fourth gospel doctrine class as a substitute. Then I was asked to teach next week as well!! Oh well, it keeps me off the streets!

It was not quite as cold today as it was yesterday. Nice little snow fall to walk on. We were home by 2:00, had a nice dinner and a long winter's nap (do I dare confess: 3 hours!) It was wonderful.

I wonder if Chris is up for a game of Rummicube?!


No comments: