Pictured above with us are Gil and Debbi Kirk, our temple buddies from Dallas. It has been a real treat to spend the weekend together with them.
Ben and I attended the first session. Chris watched on TV. Then Chris joined me later for the second session. We had first row seats for our section. We were about the same distance from the stand as one would be if he or she were in the last row of a chapel.
I received a call from Allen Stephens, a former Allen 2 Ward member, now living in the Salt Lake City area. Allen and I served together in the Young Men's Organization. He was the scoutmaster and I was an assistant Deacon's Quorum Advisor. Two of his boys were in the priest quorum when I was Young Men's President. Jeff, the oldest, is an attorney, having completed his law degree at Harvard University. Brad, the next oldest son, is currently attending Pepperdine's School of Law. Two great young men, both having joined me on a 450-mile charity bicycle trek that took us from Texas to Arkansas to Oklahoma and back to Texas. This little adventure was my son's Eagle Scout project. Our priests earned $1500 in contributions for a local community outreach organization. I really appreciate Alan reaching out and giving us a few words of encouragement and getting a little bit of an update on his family.
We took a quick tour through the newly restored Tabernacle on Temple Square. We then capped off the day with dinner at PF Changs with Ben and the Kirk's. We had a wonderful meal and some great dinner conversation. As a result, Debbi and Gil have committed to read Les Miserable before we get back. They will love it. I can't wait to get their report. An added bonus is that Debbi is a history buff, so we will have lots of opportunity to share some good books in the future.
Now its time to pack up. We have to be ready to leave tomorrow at 6:50 AM to take the shuttle to the MTC in Provo.
Some have asked for our phone number while we will be in Moscow. I have posted it on the left margin of the blog, under Contact Us. Treat this number as if we were in Dallas. If you have unlimited domestic long distance, then there will be no charge. This should be up and running in a couple of weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment