Monday, October 29, 2007

Closing the Deal...almost!

Today we had an appointment with, hopefully (?), our new landlord at 11:00 a.m., or was that 3:00 pm? Oh, I remember, our third appointment for that day was delayed until 6:30 p.m. And so it went. He negotiated himself for about 90 minutes then our attorney summarized in a sentence or two his concerns. Then we left to rewrite the agreement and will have to check out a multitude of things that are the consequence of his obdurate style. I won't bore you will all the details, but here is just one example. He took out all of the furniture from one of the living areas(he left us with a wall of cabinets, but took out the couch, endtables and the two chairs). He says, "Not to worry. I have some very nice furniture that will be here after the first of the year, that I bought in Romania!!" So much for a furnished apartment.

I am grateful for an unflapple attorney who had to listen to this man's diatribe for over an hour and a half. It is interesting how western one Russian can be and how "quaint" another is. Tomrrow, we will put on a full court press to look at some other apartments, just in case this one goes south.

We are making progress in the office. Chris and I are finding our way a little more each day. It was a bright sunny day today and it is supposed to be that way for the rest of this week. Then the Russians promise the cold weather will set in and not leave for several months.

No comments: