Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fore!


Yesterday, after a day in the office, Elder Gibbons treated me to 9 holes of golf at the Moscow Country Club. This was the last round before winter sets in. We had a great time. We were even after seven holes, until I triple bogeyed the eight hole to give him an insurmountable 2-stroke lead with one hole to go. On the ninth hole I hit the longest drive I have ever hit. I followed that up with an amazing 5-iron shot to the green, pin high. Elder Gibbons was just off the green. I knew I had to make my putt to tie, so I hit a solid stroke and put it just past the hole about 10 feet for an eventual three-putt and a bogey. So the two-stroke margin was maintained. I did make the putt pictured above, however, for a par 5!! It was great fun!!

Today, we should sign the papers on our apartment. We'll let you know how that goes.

Postscript: It took nearly ten people to meet to come to an agreement for the apartment. There was the landlord and his wife and his realtor and two lumpers who were moving personal items out of the apartment. Then there was Chris and I, our realtor, our attorney, our finance guy, and our office assistant who was doing most of our communicating. We finally settled, but could not come to a final agreement, because the landlord did not have his papers to prove that he was the lawful owner. So we will be back on Monday to sign the final papers.

Our landlord is a professor and a member at least, if not the head, of the Ministry of Health and Social Development for the Russian Federation. He indicated that if we rented from him, we could tell people that we rented from him, because his position is so highly esteemed...

They have a lot of cleaning and clearing out to do. We hope all will be ready by Monday. We found out that there is a security system throughout the apartment that can be monitored for about twenty US dollars per month. We will probably go with that. We also have to pay the little babuskas that sit in the security booth about 200 rubles per month. That's about 8 dollars.

Our realtor is supposed to be checking out the internet service. So hopefully, we will be in business in about a week or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there - we got a camera so you will have to try and call Sunday and we will try it out.

I got a small unexpected bonus from work for my big project - and the conference I was a speaker at was a great success - blessings pouring in already - and you even get to play golf!

Courtney and I did pinewood derby and she won her first two races.

The girls are doing good and so is Joy. Still no word from Daniel but we hear he is going to be at a dinner we are attending at Sarah's.

Hope all is going well!