Saturday, January 26, 2008

My How Time Flies

This has been a very productive week. With two of the Area Presidency out on mission tours, I was really able to catch up, after a long series of meetings and the long holiday season. I even discovered that I have a desk with a wooden desktop, once I worked through all the paper that was covering it.

I created a little spreadsheet to help me keep up with my own action items. I have about 17 items that I am working on currently, which I have taken as far as I can (each of these items require someone else to do something before I can complete the task). The spreadsheet is simply two columns with the action item in one column and a brief summary of the status of the item in the second column. I number each item and color the cell, if I have taken the item as far as I can, when the item is still in process. I take the color out of the cell, whenever I am able to work on the item. I was finding it difficult to remember where I was in the process (the next step). For example, I may have sent an email which requires someone in the field to respond, but 5 days later, I might not remember who I sent it to, or which mission the person is from. That part is getting a little easier, now that I know the missions and some of those who work in the office, but I still have a ways to go. It would be easy if you could just complete the task, but when you have to suspend items, waiting on input from others, it makes it a little more challenging to remember. What I would give for a good memory!! Once the item is complete, I remove it from my To Do list and paste it on my Completed Items list on another worksheet in the same file. This document remains open all day and is updated throughout the day.

Tuesday night was our FHE and all but two of the seniors couples went to the ballet. We at dinner at McDonalds. I had a Cheekyin Meefeet and a Shocolad Cocktail (a chocolate shake). We had a great time. What a beautiful theater. We had seats all over the first floor, but Chris and I got seats on the second row! I have never been that close for any event before!! We saw Cinderella and it was great fun. There were three acts and lots of little children staying out past their bedtimes. I wanted to just take pictures of all the little girls in their party dresses. They were all so cute and proper. I did happen to catch this one, without a flash (that's why it is a little fuzzy), with gold lame slippers.


The crystal lights above were stunning. The photos do no justice. Every color in the rainbow was being reflected. They were so shiny and rich looking. It made you feel as though you were in the Tzar's palace!!
As you watch this video clip of the theater, you will notice a bunch of shiny lights that are really too bright to video. These are all crystal lights.

After the ballet, we went out onto an island, where two large city streets converge in the theater district (Tverskaya) and took this picture under a statue of who knows who!!

On Thursday, a few of us gathered at the Ireland's to continue our Russian studies. We had the translator (Nastia), that the Ireland's use in their humanitarian efforts, to help us with our pronunciation. We need a lot of help.

On Friday night, the Prices joined us for a casserole, conversation and some games.

On Saturday, I worked most of today learning how to use a new software program that we are implementing in the Area to help us organize our meetings, minutes, and action items. The program is called Decisionpoint and was developed by the Church for the Office of the Presiding Bishopric. Apparently, in one year, the Presiding Bishopric takes over 20,000 actions!! Can you even imagine trying to organize records like that without the help of a good software program?

Mom baked cookies, made a stew and cut my hair. She can do it all. It has been snowing a lot here, so we never left the apartment. It is a winter wonderland outside and nice and warm, just above freezing.

Well, its about time to hit the sack, so I will say goodbye for now.

No comments: