Tuesday, May 27, 2008

FHE at the Irelands

"And he dwelt in a tent." The theme of Elder Ireland's FHE message. We talked about Lehi's obedience to the Lord's command. Sam thought we should consider that our experience is a little like Lehi's, having given up some of our luxuries and in a way we are also dwelling in a tent. Then since it was Memorial Day in the states yesterday, we took turns sharing stories about one of our ancestors. I picked Grandpa Shepard's dad, my grandfather. I really had a special relationship with Grandpa Shepard, being his only grandson (other than Stewart) that spent any time with him. And of course, Steward was just a little tyke then. We washed windows; painted fences and weeded together. Grandpa was always kind to me and would brag about me when given the opportunity. When he died, it hit me really hard. I broke down completely at his funeral. I was surprised when the other cousins didn't seem to be having the same trial that I was having. But then, of course, I was the only one that really knew him, among his grandchildren. It is comforting to know that his work has been done for him and I am quite certain he will accept it. His heart was just too big not too.

No comments: